History

May 20, 1928 – First Service held in Elmhurst Community hall by Pastor Henry Pottberge of Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Corona.

1939 – ┬áCommunity members meet determined to start a Lutheran church in Jackson Heights

May 17, 1940 – Formation of the local congregation as the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Atonement

May 18, 1941 – Pastor Albert Abel installed as the first Called Pastor of Atonement.

June 20, 1946 – Present site purchased for $12,500 (87th Street & 31st Ave.)

Nov. 1953 – Dedication of new church

May 22, 1960 Pastor Melvin Schmidt installed as Atonement’s second pastor.

Sept. 1963 – Parochial school begun at Atonement with seven children

Jan. 21, 1968 – Pastor Kenneth O. Timm installed as Atonement’s third pastor

Jan. 11, 1970 – Queens Lutheran School Association formed.

May 24, 1970 – Burning of the mortgage

May 5, 1974 – Pastor Stephen P. Bouman called as Atonement’s fourth pastor.

Jan. 1978 – Pastor Sun Chil Chang installed as Associate Pastor of Atonement

April 1978 – Atonement joins Eaast Coast Synod of the AELC

Sept. 12, 1982 – Pastor George L Johnson installed as Atonement’s fifth pastor

Apr. 15, 1984 – Rodgers Organ dedicated to the glory of God

Feb. 10, 1985 – Pastor Steven D. Olson installed as Assistant Pastor

Jan. 1988 – Atonement becomes part of the newly merged ELCA

Leave a New Comment